2019 is a very special year as it marks the 45th anniversary of Hwa Chong JC as well as the 100th anniversary of Hwa Chong Institution (HCI). Personally, it is even more special as I begin my first term in serving the Alumni.
The Alumni has always been a way for graduates to connect back to the school. However, to be effective, it is equally important for the Alumni to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide a platform for alumni members to network and maintain close ties with one another
- Provide career counselling, assistance and networking opportunities to students as they graduate from HCI and universities, and step into the working world
- Provide support to the school in its effort to drive academic and character excellence
We look back on the major events which were organised by the Alumni in 2018:
- The Alumni College Day Dinner (ACDD) hosted more than 400 guests in the HCI school hall. This annual event served as a fundraising platform for book prizes for students. It also provided us with an opportunity to reconnect with friends, retired teachers and our beloved campus. We invited HCI bursary recipients to join us for the first time at ACDD.
- Teachers' Day Gift – Crabtree & Evelyn cookies & tea were presented to teachers to show our appreciation.
- Monthly ‘Limkopi’ sessions and a few durian parties - Sessions with various themes (CCAs shout out, Durian, Thanksgiving, CNY) were held at the College Times Café, allowing alumni members to meet up with friends and teachers in a casual setting.
- Mid-Autumn Festival (MAF) – The Alumni organised activities in conjunction with the school’s celebrations. Some of these were children's art competition, lantern carrying and a mini-disco at College Times Café.
- Presentation of HCJC Alumni Bursaries – Total of $75,000 was presented to 78 students to support their studies
- Annual sponsorship of Hwa Chong Overseas Support Group (OSG) UK activities, prom magazines, exam dinners.
- HCJC Alumni Calligraphy Exhibition @ Bras Basah Complex – Exhibits were presented by Alumni members, teachers and current students.
- In celebration of Hwa Chong JC’s 45th College Day anniversary, we kicked off the Celebrity Chef series with the 1st Celebrity Chef workshop on 15 Dec 2018 conducted by Chef Daniel Tay of Bakerzin.
- The inaugural Alumni Softball Tournament on 28 July 2018 brought together different generations of HCJC Softball players for a day of Slowpitch Softball friendly games.
We are heartened to see popular support for various events held in the first quarter of 2019, including:
- Golf Challenge 2019, with a total of 128 golfers signing up for the event held at NSRCC. A total of $39,081 was raised in support of HCJC Alumni activities and bursary funds.
- ‘Limkopi’ session-cum-CNY celebrations in Feb.
- Continuation of Celebrity Chef series, including the 2nd workshop on 12 Jan 2019 conducted by Chef Ng Ziyang from Jumbo Group, and 3rd workshop on 23 March 2019 conducted by Chef Jackson from Furama Riverside Hotel.
We look forward to many more events being planned. So watch this space and join us for the fun activities throughout the year.
It is with a heavy heart that we saw the passing of two well-loved and respected former principals of HCJC in 2018 and 2019 – our founding principal Mr Lim Nai Tian who walked HCJC through early teething years of 1974 – 1976, and Mr Bernard Fong, a fatherly figure who led HCJC through a difficult period (1980 – 1988) when it had to relocate its campus. Many of us have fond memories of Mr Lim and Mr Fong, and we will miss them dearly.
I would like to record a note of thanks to all past patrons and committee members who have served lovingly and selflessly. They have helped the Alumni to grow into a strong and close-knit outfit. Many have donated generously and given time and effort to organise activities for Alumni, help the students and serve the school community.
饮水思源. The 33rd Exco will continue to be guided by this principle and fly the flag of HCJC Alumni high, remain active and relevant to both the alumni members and students alike.
On behalf of the 33rd ExCo, here’s wishing everyone good health and happiness in the year ahead, and we look forward to meeting you at our upcoming events!
Hwa Chong Junior College Alumni